Dealing with clogged drains or clogged pipes is always a pain. The sink or drain you wanted to use becomes unavailable and calling a plumber every time there is a backup becomes frustrating, expensive and time-consuming. But what really causes a clogged drain? And what are there steps we can take to prevent them from happening? We dive deeper into those questions below.
Some common causes of clogged drains are:
- Accumulation of dirt, skin and hair combined with soap scum
- Flushing items down the drain that are not supposed to be flushed like diapers, paper towels, and feminine products
- Cooking grease lining the walls of the pipes and causing build up
- A buildup of minerals caused by hard water in your home
So now that we know what causes clogged drains. . .
What can we do to prevent clogged drains?
- A screen over shower drains will help to catch any hair and larger debris that will eventually cause a buildup.
- After cooking with grease, pour it in an old tin can and let it harden, then throw it away. That way, none of the lard will end up sticking to the sides of your drains.
- Adding a water softener to your home will remove all of the harsh minerals out of your water, which will increase the lifespan of your plumbing and appliances.
- Don’t flush feminine hygiene products, diapers, q tips, makeup wipes, or anything that is not toilet paper down the drain. This is one of the easiest ways to prevent a drain from becoming clogged!
While you may not be able to stop drains from clogging 100 percent, knowing their origin and taking preventative measures will save you money on emergency plumbing services. It will also extend the life of your pipes.
Using products to “clear clogged drains” only masks the real problem. If you start experiencing a buildup or start to see slow moving drains, give us a call. It’s a lot easier and less expensive to fix a minor problem before it turns into a major problem!
If you need assistance with a clogged drain, we are here to help!
Blair LaPierre Inc.
104-293 Allen Street
Charlottetown, PE C1A 2W1
Tel: (902) 894-8836
Fax: (902) 368-1894
Toll Free: (888) 275-5888
Written By Megan Arthur: Megan is a moroccan tile advocate who loves researching bathroom renovation ideas to inspire homeowners to do something beautiful with their space.